Sunday, December 01, 2013

NFL Refuses Super Bowl Ad by Gun Company

By John P. Smith
Freelance Writer


This is a simple one.  NFL won’t run an ad by a gun company.  I won’t watch the Super Bowl.  Hey, that’s ok if they want to take that stand.  The NFL has chosen a side in the gun rights controversy.

It’s also okay if I refuse to watch the game.  This really is simple:  They’re coming out in favor of taking away my right to own guns; I’m doing what I can to take money out of their pocket.

I like football.  I’m not a militant fan for any one team, but I like the game.  I rarely actively watch games, but I may be working on something else while the game is on in the room.  And I always watch the Super Bowl.  I have watched it for the past 30 years.

But it’ll be okay if I miss, too.  My refusal to watch may be the equivalent of throwing pebbles in the grand canyon, but it’s what I can do along with asking others to join me.  If you read the above article, you’ll see that the company, Daniel Defense, made certain their ad met all the NFL criteria.  They even offered to remove their logo at the end.  The NFL refused.  They chose a side.

Let’s look at a quote by one of our founding fathers.  I love to use these because they are so relevant to what is happening today.  The people who framed and ratified our Constitution saw the tyranny of this day coming and enacted measures to stop it, or at least slow it down.

“Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God.”  -- Benjamin Franklin.

How about another well-known quip from Ben:

“Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security.”

Doesn’t giving up freedoms and liberties to be more secure sound like the mantra of Homeland Security? (And surely I’m not the only person who thinks “Homeland Security” sounds like a Soviet organization from the 1960’s?)

To make my point in this article, I was going to compare states with tight gun control laws versus states with open carry or more moderate laws and then look at the murder rates with other weapons, such as knives, blunt instruments or automobiles.  At every turn, it seems, guns and gun ownership are being criminalized and over-regulated.

They’re working hard to get laws passed and make it illegal for anyone to have firearms.  (And there’s some smartass out there right now saying, “Oh, and just who is this mysterious ‘They?’” “They” would be anyone trying to take away my Constitutionally guaranteed right to own firearms.)

For any who wish to view some statistics, some can be found here:  Gun Statistics 2010

Here’s some more data, called “Gun Control Facts,” the very name of which is biased in the direction of control of guns rather than freedom to own them.

Gun Ownership and Crime Statistics is slightly less biased.

Here’s what I think:  Screw the statistics.  The Constitution states clearly that the American people are allowed to have firearms.  Regardless of what the statistics say, that’s what it says.  Like it or not, we’re still a Constitutional Republic.  The fact that the ruling elite are unhappy with Second Amendment tells me it’s doing exactly what it’s supposed to do: Making those bastards take a step back and say, “Whoa, wait a minute.  They still have all those guns.”

Because we still have all those guns, states, counties, districts and municipalities all over the country are falling all over themselves to pass gun control legislation.  Those people who want our weapons are really trying to get past that whole “shall not be infringed” part of the Second Amendment.  And some of them are doing it.




Do some of these idiots actually believe that taking our guns will make them safer?  I just can’t see anybody being that short sighted and actually being able to put together a coherent sentence in English.  But it’s true; they think taking away my weapons will make them safer.

I have some news about that: Bad people will still have guns.  And so will these people. Note all the shootings of suspects by police.  These aren’t people found guilty.  These are people suspected of doing something wrong.  But they got shot anyway.  And you’re as likely to be next as I am.

Back to the main topic.  The leadership of the NFL has elected to take a stand.  In my opinion, they’ve picked the wrong side. So, until the leadership of the NFL changes their stance, I don’t watch their program. It’s what I can do. If we’re all doing what we can; we can make a difference.

Note:

AMENDMENT II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

No comments: